Wrinkles, dry skin, dark circles under eyes, dull skin and more. Yes, these are signs of skin aging, and free radicals are a major player in this process (along with sun damage etc. etc). Free radicals are everywhere. They are abundant in the air we breathe and our environment. Free radicals are unstable compounds that attack human cells and DNA, contributing to skin aging. But the good news is we can fight free radicals. Antioxidants act as free radical scavengers to prevent and repair damaged cells.
Eating foods rich in antioxidants, like fruits and vegetables is one way to prevent free radical damage. Another is to apply them directly to skin, where they can deeply penetrate underneath to strengthen skin cells and keep them healthy. Antioxidants in skin care products can improve the health and appearance of skin, as well as prevent accelerated aging.
Benefits of antioxidants in skin care:
- Antioxidants are known to increase circulation and cell metabolism, reducing inflammation. This is one of the most desirable benefits! Reducing inflammation promotes more even skin tone and helps keep acne and wrinkles at bay, no bs!
- Another benefit of antioxidant skin care is skin firming. Antioxidants reverse the effect of aging by improving skin health and rejuvenating cellular metabolism. Moisturizers and skin treatments with skin firming antioxidants are proven to fight skin sagging.
- Antioxidants are also proven to reduce the appearance of wrinkles. Skin care products with antioxidants can help plump out the skin and make it appear more youthful. Most antioxidants are great for reducing the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines, but vitamins C and E and CoQ10 are especially beneficial. Vitamin C is found naturally in rosehip seed oil and sea buckthorn.
- Reducing the appearance of scar tissue is another important benefit of antioxidants in skin care. Scar tissue has a different cell structure than that of healthy skin, making it rigid. Many types of antioxidants, including those found in aloe and an onion extract called allium, increase blood flow to scar tissue, and minimize the look of the scar and blending in the development of new skin.
- Too much sun exposure is not only dangerous but can dramatically age the skin and result in wrinkles and sagging, not too mention brown spots and uneven skin tone. Antioxidants stimulate blood flow encouraging growth of new cells to improve the health and appearance of lack luster sun-damaged skin.
Don’t have antioxidant rich skin care formulations? Then it’s time!